Friday, September 23, 2011

Where can I find the Cherokee Water Spider constellation?

I recently heard that the Cherokee water spider can be found in the night sky. The instructions on finding it had something to do with the big dipper, but I have had no luck in finding it.|||Well, it is not one of the 88 constellations as recognized by the International Astonomical Union, but even those are taken from a number of cultures from around the world. I too did some searching for your "water spider" with no avail. You might need to consult a book regarding cherokee myth and legend, or even contact and consult someone with direct knowledge of Cherokee customs and history.





Where did you hear about the Cherokee water spider constellation and in what context?





On a side note, the "W" in Cassiopeia always reminded me of a water spider. :)|||I recently went to a Cherokee Stem camp, and they told us the story, and how to find it, but I don't remember the directions except about the Big Dipper, and you follow the handle... But I have looked with my boyfriend who also went and we have never been able to find it.

Report Abuse


|||There are 88 official constellations - Water Spider is not one of them.





The Big Dipper is part of the Ursa Major constellation, which is depicted as a bear in many cultures including North American Iroquois.





If you provide the instructions for finding the Water Spider we might be able to help.|||I did some Google searching on it, but didn't find anything that said which Greco-Roman constellations are part of the Cherokee water spider constellation. I suspect that this just may be the same constellation as Scorpio. If you follow the "the arc of the Big Dipper handle to Arcturus, and the spike to Spica" and continue drawing the line from Spica, your go through the "house of Ophiuchus" to Scorpio.

No comments:

Post a Comment