Monday, August 29, 2011

What time will the constellation Bootes be at the zenith tonight?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the defunct constellation Quadrans Muralis is part of Bootes. Despite the bad viewing conditions, I want to try my luck at seeing the Quadrantids tonight.





What time will Bootes be at the zenith? I am in MDT time, just so you know.|||Bootes is always at the zenith, somewhere in the world. It's a good thing you mentioned that you are in the MDT, because otherwise we couldn't figure out when Bootes will be at zenith for your location. But ... how could you be in Mountain Daylight Time at this time of year? Don't you mean Mountain Standard Time (MST)?





Bootes is at 15 hours RA. That means that it is about at the Greenwich zenith at 15:00 UT on March 21. For January 3rd, subtract 5 hours (20.9% of a year x 24 hours). For MST, add 7 hours. That gives us 15 - 5 +7 = 17:00 = 5 pm.|||Just before sunrise.





I'd try for meteors a bit earlier, like 0300 or 0400.|||I thought Bootes was too far from the celestial equator to be at the zenith?|||Arcturus is the principal star in Bootes, and will pass the meridian about 8:30 in the morning. It rises in the East (duh) about 1:15 am.





I thought the Quadrantid meteor shower was supposed to peak last night, but given the cloud cover here in Pennsylvania, I'd never know for sure.





You might try the web site below for this and much more information. You'll have to tell it fairly precisely where you are (nearest city in their list will do), and it will tell you a lot about things in the sky, including stars, planets and satellites.

No comments:

Post a Comment